Photographs ©John P. Walsh
Built as a synagogue founded in 1861 by German Jewish immigrants, the neo-Classical building at 4600 S. King Drive was home to Chicago Sinai Congregation from 1912 until the 1940s.
In 1961, Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church moved into the building in the Grand Boulevard community of Bronzeville. The church community brought a strong commitment to social justice and played an instrumental role in bringing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference to Chicago in the 1960’s. Since that time the church has provided a neighborhood food bank.